- Encourage students to think about textures, smells, and colors.
- Practice breathing in and out with each movement.
- Teach students how focusing on a new skill can help to "turn off" anxious overthinking.
- Help students to do a body scan before and after their mindful crafting. How are they feeling? How do they feel different?
- Role play approaching the craft with curiosity. Students may need support in thinking about what this means.
- When mistakes happen, practice a mantra. It's helpful to create the mantra before you begin. Some examples:
- Mistakes Happen
- That's OK, now my craft looks unique
- I can keep going even when I make a mistake
What do you think? Ready for some mindful crafting in your individual sessions? What a wonderful skill for students to learn that will add to their toolbox of anti-stress strategies!